What Happens on Wednesdays
written by Emily Jenkins
- A 2007 Parents’ Choice award
- CCBC Choices (Cooperative Children's Book Council)
- A Booklist Editors’ Choice
- A 2008 Charlotte Zolotow Award (Highly Commended)
- A Society of Illustrators Original Art Show Selection
A preschooler marks the progress of her day, not by the clock but by what happens after lunch, after nap, after swimming, after the library - and after Daddy comes home. She doesn't map her neighborhood by street signs, either. Her morning walk to see dogs in the park takes her past the cat outside the deli, past her friend Errolyn's building and the daycare where she used to go when she was little, and down the block to the bagel store. The sounds, tastes, smells, and sights of a multiethnic Brooklyn neighborhood, as seen through a child's eyes and captured with enchanting pictures by debut illustrator Lauren Castillo, will encourage children to make their own sensory maps and list the events in their daily schedules.